Friday, December 19, 2008

ninth

What reflections and connections can you make with this novel?

 

 

            As I read the novel, a lot of ideas about death flashed in my mind. How would it feel like when you are trapped and are about to be killed? How would it feel like when people look at you as a prey? How would it feel like to know that you are going be chopped into bits and pieces and people who killed you will eat you up? How would it feel like to know that a female is going where your jaw bone as a necklace?

 

            Personally, I would feel like crap. It feels bad enough to see someone dying but to know that you aren’t even going to be buried properly, it would suck.

 

            Since middle school I became more aware of ‘death.’ This one word consisting of 5 different letters scares everyone and personally I hate the word.

 

Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death. Death.

 

One of the deaths that made me more conscience to ‘death’ was my grandpa’s death. He was the only grandpa that I knew and the only grandpa that I liked. He was my favorite grandpa because he told me a lot of things. He told me that it’s just as important to learn English as to learn Korean. So I did learn English and nowadays my Korean is fading because I don’t use it a lot. He told me over and over again not to smoke and drink as he smoked and drank. He said smoking and drinking were bad habits and I knew he was telling the truth because he died last year. My dad was his older son and my brother was busy studying in the states so I had to help out with funeral stuff and it sucked big time. I don’t want to know how I’ll handle my parents’ deaths.

 

            Anyway, as I read the Peace Child, I started to think about death. A few times, in the past, I was either close to dying or almost dead. Whenever I think of those experiences I want to shut down my brain and not think about them ever. Shutting down my brain would be quite dangerous to do but all those experiences are the ones that will stay in my memory forever like tattoos. Although I wish not to get haunted by those memories, I will be and I can’t do anything about it.

 

No one wants to die. 

4 comments:

theXG said...

It kind of scares me...the way you have wrote this blog. It somehow draws me into imagining about the fear of death. Yes, I am one of those who fear death. Your blog kind of reminds me of my cousin who was four years younger than me; she just passed away last spring due to brain cancer. The novel reminded me of issues about faith, which is one of my escape routes from the fear of death (if I try to force myself to believe that there is eternal life and heaven, I become less fearful of death). I feel great sympathy from your blog, well done. =]
Christy

choism said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
choism said...

Hey Brian
It was intriguing to read your blog. You seem to have a distinctive way of connecting the novel with your own perspective and experience. I, myself sometimes think about death and I always feel small and powerless when I watch somebody intimate die. Everybody is going to face death some time soon if they haven't faced yet, so instead of having fear about it we should have faith and be optimistic about life. Good blog.

African Globe Trotters. said...

Interesting blog Brian. You know in Deuteronomy 30 v 19 the Bible says, "Choose life", that's what we are meant to do but it goes beyond just this life. Why have fear when we can live forever? Does this not encompass the word we chose to describe our class: "sempiternal"?
Keep thinking. Mrs.Mc.