Wednesday, December 03, 2008

fourth

5. What should society do for “uncivilized cultures” like the Sawi?

        

         This is a very interesting question. There are many things that people can do for the uncivilized but I don’t know what’s best.

         I’m taking Mr. Willoughby’s government class and it just popped into my head so I’d like to talk about governments for a bit. From what I learned, governments serve the purposes of stopping chaos and making people happy. Well, some governments were meant to make only the leader of the government happy. Anyway, the society created such thing like ‘government’ to bring order and peace. So I think the society should bring order and peace.

            My previous statement is very crude and I’ll elaborate more about it. There’s no doubt that today’s society is going through globalization. English has become the language that people should know or else they are treated as ones with low-knowledge. It may sound rude but it’s true. Even I, myself, though I really shouldn’t be doing this because I’m also not very great at English, do look down on people who cannot speak or aren’t as fluent with English as I am. Now that English has become the standard determining whether a person has the skill to survive in the society beyond his community and nation, one has to learn the language to get acknowledged or will be treated poorly, regardless if he/she is a brilliant mind.

         What do English and globalization have to do with society helping the uncivilized? We, humans, tend to go along with the flow or the major trend. If not, you are a minority. We are living in an era where English is the major trend which connects people and nations to globalize. In my previous post, I pointed out that missionaries approach to others to do something. That something may be anything, but my point is that because missionaries communicate and try to build a bridge between people, they are globalizing, in both big and small ways. In other words, missionaries can be described as globalizers (I didn’t have an exact way to express my thought so I made up a word). The attempts may either turn out to be successful or sorrowful but everyone in this world is part of the globalization. Connecting with new people from other countries is part of globalization so everyone in TCIS takes part.

         The globalization will eventually create Earth as a place where different kinds of people will be connected to at least one, which will be connected to at least one other kind of people, and the endless chain continues. The so-called ‘uncivilized’ will come in contact with the others and it will become ‘civilized.’ What if we are committing cultural destructions? Well it doesn’t matter because everyone in the world took a part in that cultural destruction, or globalization, in some way or the other.

         So here is my opinion: society should simply communicate with the uncivilized.

         Now I’m wondering why I wrote about governments and I honestly have no clue. I guess the governments should promote globalization and at the same time look for peace and do things that will satisfy people because every culture, including the uncivilized, have different perspectives and the difference will bring conflicts. Not everyone would be happy but that’s the way it is. We have to work and hope that the majority will be happy. 

2 comments:

Mr. Rader said...

I like that you are trying to process through a thought that is obviously difficult to wrap our minds around. Keep thinking and working through these ideas. I wonder, when it comes to Globalization, what will happen to different cultures. Will we assimilate into some sort of super culture or will we assimilate into a mono-culture that is lame and boring...I wonder if it is the things that we often criticize or want to change about cultures (not talking about headhunting here) that give cultures their flavor and originality. Some things (again not headhunting) we want to change simply because "That's not thuh waey wi dooo thangs back in the Yoo-knighted-states of Amerikuh." Not sure what I am trying to say...Globalization is inevitable, I just wonder what the ramifications will be.

African Globe Trotters. said...

Globalization, mmmm. I think that is exactly what being a Christian is all about... when Christians meet, they already have a common thread. God is so much more than culture - we cannot place Him in a box of culture. When we make the effort to meet each other half way and learn to communicate on a global level, then we are developing a Godly culture. Great ideas Brian. Mrs.Mc.